Friday, December 2, 2011

Dual N-back: Take 1

Alright, today I've done my first ever attempt at the Dual N-back test.  For those of you who don't know what that is, it's a form of brain training.  The screen simultaneously flashes a box at a position, and says a sound; what you have to do is select whether or not the one currently being done is at the same position and/or says the same sound, as the one N times ago.  As you can probably guess, N increases as you get better at this.

Anyway, I enjoy brain training, and I'm pretty good at it:  I play such games as Brain Age and Big Brain Academy all the time (my BA is consistently around 20, btw).  However, Dual N-back is supposed to be the real deal; more difficult and more effective than the Nintendo DS games you find nowadays.  With that in mind, I decided to start a regimen with DNB.

How'd I do my first day?  As expected, pretty mildly.  I did it ten times, starting with Dual 2-back.  After a few attempts at this, I got a high enough score to bump up to Dual 3-back, at which point I sucked.  Here are the results:

Trial|N|Score

1     2  78%
2     2  70%
3     2  71%
4     2  83%
5     3  60%
6     3  16%
7     3  63%
8     3  27%
9     3  51%
10   3  37%

All in all, that was pretty fun.  I hope to continue this for quite a while.

~Ian

No comments:

Post a Comment

Anything which is both a known logical fallacy and a personal insult will be mercilessly mocked all the way to fictional hell, and anything which is one or the other will be relentlessly rebuked. I am an unconditional proponent of free speech, and as such open debate is always welcome. This means that disemvowelling and temporary suspension will only be used when commenters have shown that they are nothing more than flamers. Commenters will only be banned completely when they post information that can actively harm another individual, such as docs. Anonymous comments are disallowed to weed out cowardly flamers who hide behind anonymity. If you play nice, this may change in the future :-)